Records, Permits, Licensing, Probate

The Town Clerk's office is responsible for recording all deed, mortgages, liens, releases, etc. pertaining to property located in the Town of East Greenwich.  All documents presented for recording must be an original or a certified copy. When sending documents by mail please include a self-addressed stamped envelope to return the originals to you.   The office is located in Town Hall (125 Main Street) and recording for the day ends at 4:00pm.

Recording fees

Recording requirements
You may request copies of specific documents by filling out the Request for copies form and submitting it to the Clerk's office.

Birth, death and marriage records are kept on file in the Town Clerk’s office.  If you are requesting a copy by mail the application form must be accompanied by a photocopy of your driver’s license, a self-addressed stamped envelope and a check made out to the Town of East Greenwich.  The fee is $20 for the first copy and $15 for additional copies of the same record.

Please visit the Forms page (Vital Records drop-down) for the appropriate document request form.

Who has access to Vital information?  Please see this document for details.

Department of Health Vital Record website.

    The East Greenwich Probate Court has jurisdiction of the probate of wills, granting of administrations, appointment of guardians, change of names, and to fulfill the mandates of Title 33 of the Rhode Island General Laws.

    Probate court sessions take place in Council Chambers, East Greenwich Town Hall, First Floor, at 9:00 AM on the third Thursday of each month.  The Probate Judge is the Honorable Samuel Fleisig. For more information please call 401-886-8607.

    Probate Filing and Fee Information

    Probate Forms are available on the Secretary of State web site.

    You can apply for a marriage license in East Greenwich if you meet one of the following criteria.

    • Parties are East Greenwich Residents
    • Parties live out of state and the wedding ceremony is taking place in East Greenwich.

    Parties must both be present to sign the marriage license.  Each party must bring a certified birth certificate (translated if it is from a foreign country) or a current passport.  If it is not the first marriage then a final divorce decree (with a raised seal) or death certificate (with a raised seal) must be presented.  Please allow 20-30 minutes to process your request.  Marriage Licenses cost $24. 

      RI Department of Health's website has been updated to include "What You Should Know" information regarding Rhode Island's new Marriage Equality Law. 

    The marriage license application is found on our forms page.

    Several permits and licenses are issued from the Town Clerk’s office. This list is limited to Pets, Parking and Business and/or Liquor licenses.  Information pertaining to Permits related to construction and buildings are available on the Property and Building page.  All applications are found on the Forms page.

    • Dog Licenses
      Per Rhode Island State Law all dogs over the age of 6 months are required to be licensed.  Dog licenses are renewed annually in the month of April.  The license is good from May 1 until April 30.  In order to license the dog a current rabies certificate must be presented along with the application.  The cost is $8.00 per license and there is a maximum of 3 dogs per household.  The town sponsors a rabies clinic during the month of April and dogs can be licensed at that time.  Watch the local paper for the date. If applying by mail please include a self-addressed stamped envelope. 
    • Residential Overnight Parking Permit
      Residential overnight parking permits are available in the town clerk's office.  These permits allow a vehicle to be parked in specific areas downtown from the hours of 1:00 AM to 7:00 AM.  The permits are renewable annually by May 1.  Proof of East Greenwich residency and a current vehicle registration must be presented with the application form.  The cost is $25.00 each.
      • Visit the Forms & Guidelines page for detailed instructions, map and application under Pet Licensing, Business Names & Parking Forms
    • Business and/or liquor licenses
      When opening a business in the town of East Greenwich there are various licenses that you may need.  Please see the form below to see if your business needs a license.  If you have any questions regarding business licenses please contact the town clerk’s office at 401-886-8606
    • Tent Permits are issued by the Fire Department (884-4211)
    • Raffle Permits are issued by the RI State Police and are managed by the Police Department (884-2244).  The application is available and should be submitted to the East Greenwich Police Station when completed with the $5 application fee. 
    PDF All PDFs require the free Adobe Reader.